– Turk Gitar: Hi Michael. Firstly, we need to touch on vocal change. What is going to change in Arch Enemy after Alissa White-Gluz join the group? We know that Alissa’s successful clean vocal for The Agonist and in the future, can we see the same things for Arch Enemy?
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: Yes that is right, Alissa has many different vocal styles that she can do very well… She is much more versatile in that aspect than Angela. But for Arch Enemy we are sticking with the aggressive vocal style that we are known for. When I started the band in 1995 I had the idea to make the most heavy melodic band of all time, combining elements of extreme Death Metal heaviness and Thrash speed alongside traditional Heavy Metal and Hard Rock infuences with the harmonies, melodies and solos. We are very much staying true to these roots of the band on War Eternal.
– Turk Gitar: What happened in the group when you heard Angela Gossow’s decision and when Angela said you she would’t continue as a vocal with the group? Have you ever fallen into pessimism?
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: No, I am always thinking positive. The biggest pro with what has happened would be that it’s new energy and power for Arch Enemy! The biggest downside would be that, as we know very well, it can be hard for fans to accept a new singer in a band that they love. But last year I was presented with two options, to stop doing Arch Enemy completely or find a new singer, a new voice for the band and continue making the music that is the soundtrack to my life. I chose to continue alongside Daniel, Sharlee, Nick and now also with Alissa. I am looking forward to letting the Turkish fans hear “War Eternal” and we will let the music do the talking!
– Turk Gitar: When you published the first song “ War Eternal “ you made with Alissa, we know that most people found this change reasonable but another different topic was started to be argued. Angela is one of the most prominent vocal of her domination scene all over the world and everyone has the same question in their heads “how can Alissa fill this space?“. What do you think about it?
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: Sure, it was a sudden change for the fans – we know that. But of course these kind of big steps in life don’t come easily and I believe this was a gradual thing that kept growing in Angela’s mind for some time. We had decided to take 2013 off from the road and any sort of band activity, the only thing we were doing was writing music and also there always the plan to go into the studio and record at the end of 2013. As the scheduled recording time got closer, Angela informed us last year that she would definitely be stepping down from her position in the band. To be honest it was not such a huge surprise to the rest of us, as there were a lot of conversations of that nature leading up to that point. I made the changes in the band that were necessary for ARCH ENEMY to continue and keep the music alive.
– Turk Gitar: New album you will launch on the 9th of June will be a fresh start for you. As well as we can say that this album without Angela will be a great exam of Arch Enemy. What are your expectations from this album?
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: To absolutely honest, I have a feeling that maybe we’ve made something quite special this time. I pushed myself harder as a songwriter, much harder than ever before in my career I believe.
In a similar way to how ”Wages Of Sin” was a new horizon for Arch Enemy… That is the sort of emotions I have now when I hear these new songs, so fresh and exciting. Yes, listening to “War Eternal” I feel very satisfied and super excited for the fans to hear it!
– Turk Gitar: You are going to give a concert in Istanbul on the 24th of May and will there be any new songs in the setlist from the new album?
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: We will aboslutely be playing one or two new songs from the new ‘War Eternal” album. But as it’s a festival situation and not a full headline show for us, we will focus on a show with all the famous ARCH ENEMY anthems that the fans have come to expect and with the high energy metal show that the fans deserve.
– Turk Gitar: After Angela had left the group, you did not have any problems in the group and she still is in the group as a manager. In th future can we see her on the stage as guest vocal? I am really sure, it will be one of the most important expectations of your most fans, except she is completely back.
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: That is not something we have thought about so far and I beleive it to be highly unlikely. Fans will have to accept the change, ot not…that is really up to them. I believe we have created an amazing album and we have a lot of new energy. This is a new era of ARCH ENEMY and we are focusing the current line-up and the new WAR ETERNAL album!
– Turk Gitar: Thanks for this pleasant interview. See you in İstanbul on the 24th of May.
– Arch Enemy/Michael Amott: Thanks for the questions… Yes! We can’t wait to get out there and play live on stage again – we look forward to meeting the fans in this new exciting chapter of ARCH ENEMY! This is WAR ETERNAL!
Translate: Alkan Caliskan